Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mid 80s...

Naturally, my friends and I paid very close attention to what was going on in Germany, Switzerland, and so forth. We were all heavily into Sodom ("Check out Angelripper's bowl haircut!" as one of my friends enthusiastically pointed out), Destruction, Kreator, Hellhammer/ Celtic Frost, and even looked into some more obscure stuff.



I gave at least a listen to Living Death, Iron Angel, Grave Digger, and others. Most of them didn't last...



After my first few shows in 1984, I missed Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" tour (with W.A.S.P., whom we didn't like and derisively referred to as We Are Stupid Posers) in February, 1985, at the Aragon Ballroom due to a bad flu, but did catch Raven and Tank, of all bands, in April (maybe Raven's only U.S. tour? Anyone know?). That was a strange show, featuring a wrestling match between bands. This was before wrestling gained some popularity and still tried to pass itself off as "real". The match was pretty cheesy, as I recall, with the crowd mostly chanting "Bullshit!" in unison. Over 1985 and early 1986 just prior to high school graduation, I did see Megadeth/ King Diamond, Celtic Frost/ Voivod, Voivod/ Kreator, D.R.I., Venom/ Cro Mags (not bad for a bunch of skinheads), Anthrax, and Motorhead. I was at this show, by the way, at the Cabaret Metro near Wrigley Field. I'm not certain, but I think that's my foot on the right...



Incidentally, I should mention Chicago's metal scene in the mid 80s, which mostly consisted of Zoetrope and Trouble. I saw both in concert numerous times in various opening slots. Also, Shaun Glass and Troy Dixler (later from Broken Hope and, respectively, Sindrome, the legendary thrash band that blew their chances at a record deal numerous times) were acquaintances of mine from other area high schools.



I finally did see Metallica in Spring, 1986, I believe. I saw them open for Ozzy on the "Ultimate Sin" tour just as "Master Of Puppets" was released. They were decent, but I've never been a big fan of Ozzy's solo stuff. A few weeks later, I think it was, Metallica did a one-off show at the Aragon Ballroom while they were drunk, ultimately resulting in a lousy show. I did, however, see Cliff Burton before his untimely death.

Lastly, for now, my friends and I wore out our only copy of "The Ultimate Revenge" (anyone seen it?) with repeated viewings (mostly at other people's parties). The tape finally died an untimely death when one of my friends accidentally ran over it in someone's driveway. To this day, I'm not sure how that happened...



Just last month at the Unleashed/ Krisiun/ Belphegor show at the Key Club, the between band entertainment was "The Ultimate Revenge"! I hadn't seen it in over 20 years...

8 comments:

Invisible Oranges said...

Holy crap, you saw Anthrax when they had long hair! And a ton of other awesome stuff - Alcoholica... Man, I'm jealous. I'm trying to think of the first pure metal show I ever saw...it might have been Sepultura on the Chaos AD tour with Clutch and Fudge Tunnel as openers.

dschalek said...

Yeah, this was actually the "Spreading The Disease" tour and, I think, Zoetrope opened. In the Summer of '86, I think it was, I saw them again at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago for the "Among The Living" tour with, get this, Celtic Frost for their "Into The Pandemonium" tour as the openers. As I recall, CF royally sucked (they were just starting their downward slide into "Cold Lake" territory), and Anthrax wasn't all that good either. The show photographed here, however, was awesome, as I remember.

Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I loved this piece, dude. Great old 'thrax pic. I just blasted through all of my Anthrax discs for CD Shelf Cleanup. I saw them on the State of Euphoria tour, aka the original Headbangers Ball Tour.

I know I have The Ultimate Revenge Tour taped in my archives; I copied it from Metal Mark. CLASSIC!!!!

I related to everything you said here. I keep bringing up Zoetrope and Znowhite in my mind, so I'm glad Mark, our friend Bob and I aren't the only ones who remember them.

I'm a sucker for metal nostalgia.

dschalek said...

Zoetrope was always entertaining live (and I liked their first two albums as well as Louie Svitek's work with Mind Funk, particularly "Dropped"), and I heard, I believe, Znowhite's first album, but didn't like it.

Anonymous said...

Didn't MAYHEM INC opened for ANTHRAX in January '86? Don't you have a fyer from that show in Chicago????

dschalek said...

I think that the band was called Mayhem and the vocalist burnt a doll and threw it into the audience during their set. No, I don't have a flyer!!

umlatta said...

I drove up from Indianapolis to see both those Megadeth/King Diamond and the Running Wild/Voivod/Celtic Frost shows at the Cabaret Metro. Great days for Metal. Trying like hell to find the actual dates of those shows, esp. the Megadeth/King Diamond. Anyone know the date on that one? BTW I still own my VHS of The Ultimate Revenge. Classic.

The Dragon of M87 said...

@Umlatta- I do recall that the Megadeth/ King Diamond show was in the late summer because Skull passed out during King Diamond's set due to heat exhaustion (and overindulgence).