Tuesday, October 16, 2012

MDF Diary Entry




OK, every time late May rolls around, I end up kicking myself for missing out on the Maryland Death Fest (MDF). I usually come up with one lame excuse after another, usually involving being too busy at work (which is true). However, as the lineup for 2013 slowly took shape, a palpable sense of excitement began building in the metal community. The rafters started to shake as bands such as Convulse, Antaeus, Glorior Belli, and Aosoth were announced. Then, Cobalt was added. The coup de grace occurred with the announcement of Bolt Thrower being set to headline the Thursday night show. Icing on the cake, as it were, arrived with the additions of Evoken and Ufomammut.

That sealed it. I am going to go, work conflicts be damned (I'll make it work).

And, I am. I am the proud holder of a 4-day ticket to the club Formerly Known As Sonar, beginning with the Thursday night show. As of this writing, the lineup for the Thursday night show has just been announced. This couldn't be better, because it lessens the chances of scheduling and priority conflicts deeper into the festival.

BOLT THROWER
UFOMAMMUT
COBALT
ABIGAIL
DEIPHAGO
EVOKEN
NECROPSY

I'm not going to cover this festival for About.com. I'm going strictly as an ecstatic, enthusiastic fan, but I have a feeling that regular updates will appear here during the actual festival.

As quoted from MDF, the entire festival lineup is as follows:

Full list of confirmed bands:

@ Former Sonar compound:

!T.O.O.H.! (Czech Republic)
ABIGAIL (Japan)
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
AMBASSADOR GUN
ANHEDONIST
ANTAEUS (France)
AOSOTH (France)
ASCENSION (Germany)
ASTHMA CASTLE
BENEDICTION (UK)
BOLT THROWER (UK)
BROKEN HOPE
CARCASS (UK)
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway)
COBALT
CONVULSE (Finland)
CRUCIAMENTUM (UK)
DEIPHAGO (Philippines/Costa Rica)
DOWN
EVOKEN
EXODUS
GLORIOR BELLI (France)
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
IHSAHN (Norway)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)
INIQUITY (Denmark)
INTEGRITY
KOMMANDANT
LOSS
MANILLA ROAD
(the) MELVINS
MIDNIGHT
MORGION
NECROPSY
THE OBSESSED
PAGAN ALTAR (UK)
PELICAN
PENTAGRAM
PIG DESTROYER
REPULSION
REVENGE (Canada)
RIGHTEOUS PIGS
SLEEP
SPEEDWOLF
UFOMAMMUT (Italy)
VENOM (UK)
VINTERLAND (Sweden)
WEEDEATER

@ Baltimore Soundstage (no barricade shows):

CITIZENS ARREST
CONVERGE
DISCIPLES OF CHRIST
EDDIE BROCK
FEASTEM (Finland)
FULL OF HELL
HEARTLESS
HELLSHOCK
ILSA
INFEST – (Exclusive east coast appearance)
IRON LUNG
KROMOSOM (Australia)
LIKE RATS
MAGRUDERGRIND
MASSGRAV (Sweden)
OLD LINES
ROTTEN SOUND (Finland)
SETE STAR SEPT (Japan)
TINNER (Finland)
VITAMIN X (Netherlands)
WAKE
WEEKEND NACHOS

Admittedly, although there are some great bands listed for the Soundstage, I'm going exclusively with the club Formerly Known As Sonar. Undoubtedly, lineups for the remaining days will soon be announced, and I'll go about setting my priorities then.

I hope to see many of the people that I've had the pleasure of knowing through metal blogging over the years, but have never met in person.

That may become the weekend's biggest priority, after all.

Pig Destroyer Book Burner

1 comment:

Metal Mark said...

I live in Maryland and have never gone mainly do to lack of funds and time. That's a pretty great line-up though. The draws for me would be Bolt Thrower, UFOmammut, Pagan Altar, Pentagram, Sleep, Midnight, Pig Destroyer, Exodus and Weedeater.

It's always funny to me that my area has only two heavy music festivals and both hit in May. One is the MDF and the other is the embarrassment known as the M3 festival (hair bands in case you didn't know or care).